Thursday, February 11, 2010

Who does she think she is?



Yesterday, I missed my Art mama's meetup. I just joined and was doubtful about being able to make it. I had shopping to do, without a car and two energetic little boys in tow. But isn't the purpose of this group to support mothers who are also artists? Oh the irony!
Last night, one of the ladies posted a comment about the meetup and also posted a link to something that might interest us moms who struggle to balance our need to create with our need to be with and care for our children. "Who does she think she is" is a documentary chronicling the experience of MIAs (Mothers inhabiting art).
I don't know why it never occurred to me that we are a special breed. We give all to our children and we want to give ourselves to our art too. I've spent many nights on art projects with a baby in the sling and I still spend many nights trying to type or do a digital painting with a baby cradled in my arms. Sometimes I feel ideas rushing into my consciousness and I feel like I need to work on something right at that moment. But invariably, one of my children will need something and I have to put it down. Somehow, my attention always seems to be divided. And even more so, my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Spring FlowerChild,

    Are you one of the Art Mamas in Atlanta?

    I remember working like a fiend on my creative projects during each nap time and well into the night after the children were in bed.

    Both being with your children and doing your artwork are both precious activities - some of the best in the world!

    Take care,
    Betsy Lewis
    http://arteventproductions.com
    http://betsylewis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete